Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Reasoning Behind My Portfolio of Digital Photography and Video

When I shared my new portfolio at kaChing.com, my darling asked me why did I buy shares of each stock in multiples of 100 in it? I had in mind future hedge possibilities with options: as you know 1 option = 100 shares. Otherwise, I would buy 1 share of each to form an index for digital photography and video. For indexing purposes I only need to follow % movements and 1 share of each stock would be enough. With a time I also experinced that kaChing.com charting would not reflect my Index based on 1 share of each stock, so I went ahead and bought 10,000 shares of each stock to get properly reflected in Performance Chart, which compares visually my formed index with a chosen benchmark (S&P 500, Russell 3000).
____________
____________
____________
*
My interest in indexes started when I began to play with country-based ETFs, placed them on one chart as you may see here. I am collecting myself to finish the Contribution for 2009 Olympic Congress: http://www.2009congress.olympic.org/en/Pages/default.aspx, where I am offering Hoopathlon consisting of three sports: hoop shooting, 2x2 playing, running country-based ETFs for 3 hours ... you just saw the chart.

As you may see I get some countries here and some may not. Even UK‘s FTSE 100 I cannot place on the same chart because it run during London trading hours, not US. One way out of it is to create my own ETF... I started to look for California ETF and could not find one. Time arrived to get serious :(
I contacted Mike Havrilla and he guided me out with basics of forming own ETF. I did it with CartuM25.

When the whole thing came down to historic back-testing, Excel provided good opportunity to produce relative chart after downloading historical quotes, but it is time consuming and ... kaChing!.. Mike invited to check his portfolio on kaChing.com :)

When I saw that kaChing.com has Performance comparative chart, I became instantly hooked and joined the site with my newly gathered Portfolio for digital photography and video. Hope it will bring some fun.
*
*
____________
____________
____________
Art
Portfolio Manager with SEC Registered
Investment Adviser kaChing.com